Home or Work, Make Sure Security is Up-to-Date
One of every individual’s or business owner’s biggest fears is losing precious heirlooms, valuables, or expensive inventory because of thieves and vandals. Protecting valuables, and expensive inventory can be gone in seconds if some unscrupulous person enters the home, workplace, or manufacturing facility.
The use of the proper security tools is essential no matter if you are protecting your home or a multi-building manufacturing facility. The question that many company leaders and individuals ask themselves is “How can I keep valuables and other collateral safe?”
First Let’s Talk About Keeping Your Home Safe:
No matter where you live or work, staying safe and keeping valuables safe is key. Reports are rampant about the number of Kia and Hyundai vehicles being stolen because they are easy for thieves to start when broken into. Many individuals are increasing security at home to ward off the increasing number of property thefts reported.
According to Statista, there were 4.6 million cases of larceny/theft in the U.S. in 2020. One of the reasons for property crime is that the incidence of the robber being caught is very low. Those committing property theft are much lower than those committing violent crimes.
At home, here are some things you can do to make sure your home is safe, according to the Department of Public Safety.
- Keep doors and windows locked, whether you are home or out.
- Report suspicious people on or around your property to authorities.
- Keep expensive items in a safe deposit box, or at least in an inconspicuous place.
- Keep your wallet and purse secure when out in public.
- Install light/motion detectors and security cameras that will shine on all entryways when they are approached.
- Install an alarm system.
- Set timers to light up your home if out for the evening or out of town.
- Keep drapes drawn and blinds closed, so thieves can’t look in the home.
- Purchase reinforced doors or security screens.
- Never leave purses, wallets, or cell phones in your car.
Keeping your home secure will give homeowners greater peace of mind, whether they are home or away.
But what can individuals do to keep their businesses safe? Many of these same tactics will work for brick-and-mortar businesses and manufacturing facilities, but there are other options as well that will help protect inventory and valuables.
Protecting Your Business from Theft:
The first thing that every business owner should do is have a professional security team come in and make sure their facility is safe. However, other measures should be implemented to ensure safety and reduce theft as well.
According to Securitas Technology, there are several things you can do to deter internal and external theft in manufacturing facilities.
Deter Internal Theft:
It is important to do a security check at the facility to make sure people and products are safe. The security check may differ depending on the type of business and whether it is a warehouse, factory, or manufacturing plant.
- Conduct a valuation of equipment as well as the cost of current stock in the facility. Also, determine what security measures are in place to protect both goods and equipment.
- Assess whether the location of the facility is in a high-crime area, if so, make sure that the security team protects the facility accordingly.
- Check the surroundings of the building and perimeter, and consider security gates.
- Determine what security systems are currently in place, and determine their effectiveness. Replace or ramp up additional security, when/if needed.
Eliminating external theft can be difficult, but there are security efforts that can help protect the facility and everyone working there.
- Limit the number of outsiders or unwanted people in and out of the business.
- Make sure stock and valuables are safe when the business is closed via security cameras.
- Make sure the outside of the building is safe by adding fences and walls if possible. If already there, they should be checked to make sure there are no holes in fencing, etc.
- Make sure that the proper security equipment is in use, and they are all in good working condition.
- Have CCTV and video surveillance technology installed.
- Have an intruder alarm that will alert workers when triggered.
Several other things can be done, other than traditional security measures.
Unique Security Options:
According to Secure Your World, there are a variety of things you can do and devices that will help you protect your property, here are some ideas:
- Protect hitches and trailers with a Kovix Alarmed Trailer Lock. It consists of stainless steel.
- Keep your bike or motorcycle safe with an anti-theft system with a bike tail light that has a hidden siren, which will sound if the bike is tampered with.
- Keep your pets safe with a Furbo Pet Camera. You can check on your pets when away from home to make sure they are safe.
- You can safely hide extra home keys with a myriad of products on the market.
- The easy-to-install Hitchsafe Tow Bar Vault is a key box vault used with 50mm Hitch Bars. It can hold keys, licenses, and credit cards and has a combination lock.
- Garden rocks key hiders are another option, they come in a variety of different types of stones that are hollow and can hold keys safely.
- If you have valuable equipment at home or office, you may want to make sure they are protected with tamper proof screws. They can be used to secure sheds or secure other items like vaults, security boxes, gun cabinets, and other things that you don’t want tampered with. Bryce Fastener is the maker of these screws. They are made specifically for each client and come with a unique screw that comes with its own opening device. It cannot be opened with regular screwdrivers.
Many things can be done to ensure that you are safe, whether you are at home or in the workplace.